Monday, January 4, 2010

Thing 8: Creative Commons...and Stretch!

What does Creative Commons mean to me?
  1. A sense of accomplishment.
  2. Credit where credit is due.
  3. Validation.

But yet...I have yet to use it, for, honestly?

  • Much of what I create is simply "borrowed" ideas.
  • Or at the time, I did NOT have the time to think through the process. Yes, oh, time, where art thou?

Thanks to Thing 8...maybe, just maybe...yes! I now have a Creative Commons "plugin" on my class wiki (or what I refer to as my online filing cabinet: Mrs. Gillmore's Info Page). Please check it out...click on previous link...and scroll down...

Now to stretch even a little more...

I viewed two sites (all great ones for English teachers, in particular) and could find no Creative Commons link/button...hummm...

Then I searched Creative Commons for "grammar" and found this site Guide to Grammar and Writing (to obtain this link I had to "copy shortcut" as there was no link to the site on the page...other than this: http://search.creativecommons.org/# ... or at least one that I could quickly find. Please share if you have the answer to this dilemma!).

1 comment:

  1. While it's true we can license our individual works via CC, the important skill we have to model and teach our students is not to use copyrighted content. This becomes especially important with multimedia content as we all begin to create online and have our students create content that goes beyond mere text. I've found my students are accustomed to just Googling (via Google images) to find images to stick in projects. The problem: many of those images are copyrighted. Though I've explained CC and insist they use only CC images, many of mine are resisting, wanting to take the quick, easy Google image. Are you experiencing similar hurdles?

    ReplyDelete