Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thing 6 Stretch: Wikipedia in Our Futures

While I will not allow Wikipedia as a source in an assignment requiring research, I quite often (shhhhh!) start here when researching most any topic. Maybe this is because when conducting a search, the wikipedia result excels at the top of the list?


For the sake of this post I researched alzheimer's disease, an afliction that my mother endures. Maybe I should clarify that...my mother's family endures this disease, this very sad disease.


Back to my topic...


I had actually not ever investigated the discussion button until this post. I appreciated the flow of validation of some information that had been submitted.


Do I allow my students to use Wikipedia...yes...and no. Yes, this is a great site to obtain an overview and is a great way to teach validity of sources, for although a source may "sound" oh so good and true, one must always hold the authors to high standards.

Will Wikipedia one day be "reliable" source? For the answer to that question, let's ask Wikipedia: Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

In the meantime, though, Wikipedia will continue to be my friend, the source I turn to when needing a quick overview of a topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment